The EWAG success story began in 1946. The pioneering spirit of that time is also reflected in the products of today. The quality and multitude of innovations since the foundation until today are impressive proof of this.
Foundation of Edel-Werkzeug AG by Dr. H. Pfluger, G. Vogt-Schild, Dr. H. Vogt and Director O. Remund in Solothurn on November 6, 1946.
The first manufacturing premises were in Zuchwil and in a garage in Biberist.
Development of manual machines
- July 24th - Start of production in a shed on the present Sulzer area in Zuchwil with a workforce of 30 people.
- EWAG's origins lay in tool production (e.g. grinding hard metal lathe tools)
- Construction of the WS 10 prototype and a first series of three machines.
- Design of the legendary WS 11.
- Presentation of the WS 11 at Hanover trade fair.
Design of manual machines for PCD
- Development of the RS 2 radius grinding machine
- Purchase of Factory 1 in Etziken.
- Further development as RS 3 with different variants
Further development of manual
- Further development as WS 11-A.
- Further development as WS 11-SP (spiral).
- Further development as RS 3-AP.
- Development of RS10 as successor of the RS 3.
Growth and diversification
- Start of development of the RS series with manufacture of the RS 12 as successor of the RS 10.
- Design of the LS 01 lapping grinding machine and of the AS 40 drill sharpening machine.
- Development of the FS600 cutter grinding machine.
- Opening of subsidiary, the Ewag Corporation, in Smithfield, Rhode Island (USA) on 1st September.
- Presentation of the first CNC machine, the RS 12, at IMTS Chicago (USA).
CNC Machinery Development
- Development of EWAMATIC.
- Inclusion of the RS15 in Ewag's product portfolio and production start for the first generation of EWAMATIC.
- Construction start of new building for the Ewag Corporation in North Kingstown, Rhode Island (USA).
- Further development of the EWAMATIC LINE.
- Development of the first EASYGRIND prototypes.
Modernization and new development
- Development of the first ROTOLINE prototypes.
- New main shareholder of EWAG: Körber Schleifring, Hamburg.
- Further development of the EASYGRIND with a pallet system and robot. Delivery of the 3000th WS11 as Special Golden Edition at EMO.
- Presentation of the COMPACT LINE at EMO.
- Modernization of the WS11 and WS11-SP.
- Presentation of the newly developed INSERT LINE and LASER LINE at the demo days at the EWAG premises in Etziken.
- Presentation of the newest developed machines INSERT LINE and LASER LINE during the demodays at EWAG in Etziken.
- Collaboration with our sister company Walter Maschinenbau GmbH in Tübingen, Germany is intensified, to enable us to offer our customers a complete range of tool machining services.
- Grinding, eroding, laser machining, measuring, software and services from a single source!
- The Schleifring Group becomes the UNITED GRINDING Group.
- The new machine design of the UNITED GRINDING Group will be presented at the EMO in Hanover.
Realignment of the Laser Centre
As part of the strategic realignment of the EWAG brand, we are focusing on the laser processing of tools.